Sunday, February 28, 2016

Spring Sprang

Williamsburg is in spring mode. Not officially, perhaps, but I can’t call 60+ degree temperatures “winter.”

And, true to form, the season is coming in like a lion. A storm rolled through this week bringing high winds and at least one tornado. The tornado warning was a first for me (in previous years we’ve had tornado watches, meaning weather conditions indicated the possibility of tornados; the warning means someone saw an actual tornado). I was driving to school when the radio emergency announcement came on with a list of the high danger areas. Williamsburg wasn’t on the list, so I kept driving. I arrived to find the law school as empty as a ghost town, except for a few of us who had just wandered in. (Most of the law school population had congregated in the basement of the library.) I went to my classroom (which had been abruptly abandoned by the previous professor) and soon thereafter received the all-clear message from emergency services.

I later heard that there was damage north and south of us and a tornado out west, but my little corner of Virginia escaped any harm.

The other big news of the week is that I now have Virginia license plates on my car. I’m sad to give up my Utah Arches, but I am fond of the Don’t Tread On Me snakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment